Is ΨΡΑ a Greek Letter organization / Honor Society?
Yes. Psi Rho Alpha is incorporated with the State of North Carolina and recognized with the IRS as a 501(C) 3 Non-Profit Organization. [47-1740847]
How do I become a Member of ΨΡΑ Honor Society?
- Must have achieved at least sophomore academic standing (45 credit hours)
- Must have an accumulative 3.3 GPA (on a 4.0 scale) determined by the certifying institution and academic department
- Must declare a visual and performing arts major (see list of majors on “Become A Member” page)
- Must pay $50 National Membership Fee
- Must complete and submit Membership Application Form
- Must join a chartered chapter of ΨΡΑ (Psi Rho Alpha)
- Must complete the new member intake seminar and induction
Does ΨΡΑ Pledge, Haze, or Rush its members?
NO. It is unlawful for any student in attendance at any university, college, or school in this State to engage in hazing, or to aid or abet any other student in the commission of this offense. For the purposes of this section, hazing is defined as follows: “to subject another student to physical injury as part of an initiation, or as a prerequisite to membership into any organized school group, including any society, athletic team, fraternity or sorority, or other similar group.” Any violation of this section shall constitute a Class 2 misdemeanor.
Does ΨΡΑ have a history, bylaws, or constitution?
Yes. The history grows with every activity, event, and evolution of this organization. This honor society has a national governing body with bylaws and a constitution.
Is ΨΡΑ a new Honor Society?
When was ΨΡΑ founded?
August 25, 2014
Why was ΨΡΑ established?
Psi Rho Alpha was established to provide honor, recognition, mentorship, scholarship, collegiate leadership, and a national network for students in the visual and performing arts.
Is ΨΡΑ a fraternity or sorority?
No. Psi Rho Alpha is an honor society of both male and female members. Psi Rho Alpha provides a “hybrid” experience and collegiate community for its members. For some, Psi Rho Alpha provides a fraternal experience, for others it provides a professional society and network to create career options, but for many it provides a family of like minded individuals who care, share, and build lifetime relationships.
What outreach does ΨΡΑ participate in?
Members of Psi Rho Alpha are active volunteers with city wide organized events that promote the arts as well as social or civic community service events; such as:
- Community food and clothing drives (Second Harvest Food Bank)
- Art Career Development Symposium
- Sickle Cell Partners for the Carolinas
- Going Green – Environmental Day at Northwest School of the Arts (High School outreach)
- Test Proctoring Volunteers (High School outreach)
As a student can I charter a chapter at my school?
Students can help to facilitate the chartering of any new chapter at an institution or university that does not already have an active chapter. (*See the Chapter Chartering tab for instructions on how to charter a chapter)
Is this society open to all types of people?
Psi Rho Alpha is an equal opportunity society. It is open to qualified candidates, including persons with disability, without regard to age, color, gender, national origin, race, religion, and/or sexual orientation.